Its nearly turkey time! If you’re planning to purchase a turkey for your holiday dinner, there are some important considerations to make:
- How big!?
- How long?!
- Where and how was the bird raised?!
- Just “How!?!” – step by step.
We’ll do our best to answer, with the help of a few awesome food bloggers. Here we go:
As you can imagine, this is quite the hot topic this season. Two of our favourite food bloggers – the Kitchn and Jamie Oliver – recommend 1 – 1.5lbs of bone-in turkey per person, depending how many leftovers you’d prefer. They say 1lb per person is plenty for the meal and a few leftovers, and 1.5lbs per person with leave you with a wealth of turkey sandwiches. Turkeys from Healey Falls Bison Farm range between 10 and 13 lbs – offering you plenty for your small to medium-sized holiday meal (6 – 13 people).
Have a large crowd to feed? Consider cooking two (or more) smaller turkeys to reduce roasting time and ensure plenty of dark meat for everyone!
Most people will buy their turkeys frozen – ensure yours is completely thawed before roasting!
Three major considerations here:
- Thawing time: we recommend 24hrs of refrigerator thawing time for every 5 lbs of turkey.
- Counter resting time: turkeys should rest on the counter for 2 hours before roasting.
- Roasting time: 13 mins per pound if roasting empty or 15 mins per pound if stuffed.
We’re thrilled to be partnered with Healey Falls Bison Farm – who’s offering naturally-raised turkeys from their 170 acre farm, just 45 mins east of Peterborough. The take pride in raising animals for high-quality meat, and know you’ll taste the difference! These naturally-raised turkeys grow more slowly than those that are not free to run around outdoors. This means that they have more flavour and more fat in their muscles, resulting in a better, firmer texture. Food blogger and Chef Jamie Oliver has some great resources to help you prep your turkey a day in advance, so you have plenty of time to celebrate the day of!
- 1 higher-welfare turkey – find yours here!
- 1 clementine
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary (30g)
- 1 bunch of fresh sage (30g)
- 12 fresh bay leaves
- 250 g stuffing
- 250 g unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 whole nutmeg , for grating
- turkey giblets , (optional)
- 2 onions – find here
- 2 carrots – find here
- 2 sticks of celery
- ½ a bulb of garlic
More recipe details here.
Looking for a complete Holiday Dinner Package? You’re in luck! Find our complete local Holiday Dinners here and save 5% on all items until December 25th!